autismspeaks.org

04 March 2009

Another surgery...

Well,
I guess Bobby hasn't accepted the fact that his body can't handle the abuse it once was subjected to because he hurt his shoulder skating a few weeks ago and it wasn't getting better.
He decided to skate during Roci and Aalyia's skating lesson and he tripped on the toe pick. In his defense, he has never used figure skates and assumed the skates he rented were hockey skates. He was racing with Nicholas Metzger, and the next thing you know he's laid out on the ice moaning. Everyone was concerned when he didn't get up right away. Then everyone looked at me, waiting for me to be the good, concerned wife, to go and check on him. I knew that when Bobby really gets hurt, he needs a few minutes to compose himself. Well, it seemed like an eternity had passed and he still wasn't getting up. He had a nice little group of kids and the instructor standing over him waiting.
After a while passed, some of the Moms' said I should go out and check to make sure he didn't need an ambulance. By this time, I was embarrassed and decided to walk out on the ice to check on him. I was sending telepathic messages to him to get up, but he wasn't receiving them fast enough. I got halfway out, hoping I wouldn't fall myself and break something, when he finally got up and skated past me to the waiting room. Of course, I was put out that he didn't even stop to acknowledge me and just skated passed me. But then I realized that he was quite embarrassed himself and just wanted out.
He complained alot about his shoulder hurting. The fall happened so fast that he didn't have time to brace himself. Well, he went to the doctors for an x-ray and then an MRI. I may tease Bobby about being a baby when he gets hurt, but one thing is for sure, he knows his body.
He tore a tendon in his rotator cuff and will need surgery in April. The doctor said they need to get it soon before it gets worse. So!!!!!! Here we go again! Good luck Bobby... I still love you :)

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Miller hurt his shoulder too last week :( We're going to see the orthopedic next week to see what's wrong since the x-ray didn't show anything broken. Good luck with the surgery...sorry!

The Metzgers said...

I'm so sorry! I knew that Nicholas would do some damage while on his skates. :(