autismspeaks.org

05 September 2009

Feeling dumb

I went on a date with my hubby last night to see 'All about Steve'. It was funny. Rental funny.( That's how I rate my movies. Whether they are worth the $10 or if they would have been better enjoyed at home for a $1 or better yet for free from the library.)I put my phone on vibrate during the movie and forgot to take it off. No big deal right? Wrong!
Never have your phone on vibrate when you are watching someone's house. My friend asked me to check on her house while they are out of town. 'No problem', I say, 'I can watch your house for you!'
Apparently, my friend's alarm went off at 4:00am. Her FIRE alarm. So there I am snoozing away, clueless to the fact that ADT has been trying to reach me and so has she!
The first thing I do every morning before getting out of bed is check the weather on my phone. You can imagine my shock when I see missed phone calls and missed messages on my phone. As I'm scrolling through them I start to panic. Oh great, I think, some friend I am.
I jump out of bed and dress very quickly debating on whether to call her before or after I get back from checking her house. I mean, man, talk about feeling dumb!!!!
"OH no problem, I can watch your house for you!"
So, I race out of the house and by then I've mustered the courage to call her and explain what happen. She tells me that she gave the fire department the code for her house so they could get in through her garage and they've checked it out and it was a false alarm. She said she did appreciate that I was going over to check and if I could reset everything while I'm there. She did also say she was happy that I was able to sleep since it was a false alarm. Hmmm...
In the meantime I'm thinking, what a loser I am. What if it hadn't been a false alarm? What if she hadn't been able to let them in the house? What if they had to smash the front door or windows to get in? Of course, none of that happened but I like to torture myself with the what if's. Growing up, that's what we focused on. Not the good outcome, but the horrid images of what COULD have gone wrong. We'd spend days and weeks, 'What if...?'It was like an olympic event.
SO! That was my Saturday morning. Wondering if I am as good of a friend as I'd like to think I am. "Oh don't worry, you can count on me, I'll watch your house, NO PROBLEM!"

3 comments:

The Metzgers said...

Oh man! I'm sorry. I can only imagine having to make that phone call.

Jo said...

Don't be so hard on yourself!!!
I do recall the 1st time your service called me - YIKES!

Sol said...

I always dwell on the what if's. So you're not alone. I am glad it was a false alarm and that you're ok. And you can watch my house anytime.