autismspeaks.org

17 November 2009

Something to be thankful for...





I received a frantic phone call around 9:00 am Saturday morning from my brother. The conversation went something like this:
Adrean: "Someone needs to get down here right now, someone hit our car." (Yelling)
Me: " Adrean??"
Adrean: " I said someone needs to get the **** here because someone hit us. Melisa and Eli aren't answering their phones. Why don't they answer." (more intense)
Me : " Are you downstairs??" ( I was very confused.)
Adrean: " NO! We are on Parker Street and some maniac flew over the median and we got hit... it's pretty bad."
Me: " Uhhh..... I will be right there. Where exactly are you?"(trying not to panic)
Adrean: "We're hard to miss. We are in the middle of Parker St. near Boston Rd. and Walgreens. (a little more calmly)
Me: " I'm on my way ( I can hear a man's voice and he sounds like he's arguing)
It took me seconds to dress and run out the door. My sister called me just a couple of minutes later telling me she was on her way there. I told her I'd meet her there and hung up. She called me back just a minute later to tell me the road was blocked and that the accident was pretty bad. She said that there were several police cars and many officers. There were also three ambulances and they were putting mom in one and she wasn't responding to the paramedics. She told me to park at the Circut City and I could just walk into the street.
All sorts of things rushed through my mind. I thought about how many times I make my kids give me a hug and kiss when they leave because, 'I could get hit by a bus, you know. It happens', or ' It's not far-fetched for me to have a heart attack and drop dead, I am over 40 you know'. I also try to keep that in mind when I'm upset with my husband for being a husband and he wants a hug and I won't give him one because I'm upset and, of course, I'm right and want to be acknowledged.
I also thought about the last time I spoke with my mom and how I was preoccupied cleaning something and not giving her my full attention. I couldn't even remember the last time I spoke with my brother. I thought about how much I miss my father and nephew and the last time I heard my mother-in-law laugh. She had a great laugh. I thought about spending this holiday as an adult orphan.
Then, I got very angry. Angry because why does it take a tragedy to wake us out of our routines and remind us how short life is? Why is it that we have these tragedies and sometimes they are only enough to wake us for a short time, only to have us fall back into our patterns.
I used to think I wouldn't be able to live if something happened to one of my children, and my sister has taught me that as much as you want to give up, life goes on and there are so many people who love you and still need you here.
My sister-in-law and husband showed me how important siblings are when you lose a parent and how comforting it is to have that connection together and be there for each other. My family showed me that no matter what issues you may have with each other that when you lose your father, we are here for each other.
So how can these painful lessons be pushed to the back of our minds only to have them crash on us in a moment of ugly reality???
I can't tell you how grateful I am that I did not lose my mom and my brother in this accident. Had my mom been just a little further ahead in the road, just inches, she could have been killed. The SUV smashed into the front driver's side and was sitting on the hood of the car. That's a little too close for comfort.
I still don't understand why some people survive some things and others don't. I don't believe God causes these things to happen. I do know, though, that He is here for us as long as we seek Him and ask for His presence in our lives. He comforts, loves, and is merciful. and for that I am thankful....

5 comments:

mckellebmassmemo said...

SOOO glad everyone is OK! Looks like an ugly accident!

Brandi said...

WOW...I am so glad everyone is okay! Awful photos!

Sol said...

good point. i need to work on this, you know, showing and telling my family that I love them.

Pack N Pounce said...

I know how you feel! My sister was ran over by a tractor trailer truck going 65. She was in a Mazda Miada. She ended up with years of physical therapy and brain damage. My dad was sledding wtih the boy scouts and hit a tree. Both almost died and both had doctors who said they were very luck to be alive. God blesses you and your family! I'm glad that everyone is ok and we will pray for a fast recovery for you mom! Love and Hugs <3

happyherma said...

Thanks for the reminder...Love your blog.