autismspeaks.org

02 December 2009

Aalyia is growing up...

Here is a picture of my baby girl. Can you see her red eyes?? Those were caused by her mama.

She's had a lose tooth forever. When she first showed it to me I told her NOT to wiggle it. Why?? Because she's my baby, my youngest. It's bitter-sweet for me. Though I have NO desire to have another baby, I do want to enjoy my lasts; last first loose tooth, last learn to read, ride a bike, etc.

Well, Aalyia is a good listener and she did not wiggle her tooth. Her adult tooth was tired of waiting and decided to come up behind it. I know, I'm selfish. Anyway, I told her she needed to start wiggling it like crazy so her new tooth could come in straight.



SO, she started wiggling the little bugger and it wasn't really budging. Her sisters were giving her advice on how to get it out. 'Use a toothbrush and knock it out.' (that would be Mercedes),

'Let Mom pull it out.' I thought that one was a good idea. I've had lots of practice. Now, Aalyia is my most sensitive one. I don't mean she cries easily, she just really feels things deeply. She was uncontrollably sobbing at Merecedes' quincenera because she was so happy for her. She cries at sad parts in movies. She cried when Zachary was born. So, with her I try to remind myself to tread lightly because I'm not very patient. I decided to let her take her time. She was afraid of it hurting. Contrary to popular belief, I don't like to inflict pain. (Ask Bobby about his sunburn.)

After a few weeks, she started to complain about it hurting. I told her that since it is coming apart at the root that it would be sharp and would cut into her gum so it was going to feel sore.






On Sunday evening, I finally coaxed her into letting me start to wiggle it for her. She made me promise I wouldn't pull on it, just wiggle. I told her we could get some Coldstone ice cream if it came out. Well, we sat for about 2 hours chatting, wiggling, chatting, wiggling etc. We loosened it alot, but it wasn't coming out. Finally, I knew she'd had enough so I told her that we could continue on Monday and she should get some rest and, of course, I would still take her to get ice cream when it fell out. Well, Roci convinced her to give her a shot and she actually got it moving well. Aalyia came running to me and told me that she thought it was ready because Roci had helped her. Of course, I ask to see and I wiggled it and it was so loose that I just decided to pull it . Out it came and so did the tears! She told me it hurt. It was bleeding and Roci starts to yell, " Oh my gosh Mom! Look at all the blood!!' Aalyia had a panic look on her face and I tried to distract her by showing her the tooth. "Look honey! Look how tiny it is! Yea! Now it won't bother you anymore!' She tried to smile and wipe her tears as she cried.

Oh, how that broke my heart. I don't know if I'm a bad parent but when some of my kids cry it's like, 'Suck it up', and when others cry you want to just shrivel up inside.


Here is her before picture. She's so happy!

Now the tooth is out and she has it in a little zip lock baggie to show everyone. Now that the trauma is over, she is so thrilled! And she is patiently waiting to go to Coldstone Creamery after lunch today!







2 comments:

Cathy Marie Buchanan said...

Aalyia is too cute. Thanks for including my debut, The Day the Falls Stood Still, in your "check out these books" list!

Cathy
---
http://www.cathymariebuchanan.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cathy-Marie-Buchanan/99983324209
http://twitter.com/CathyMBuchanan

Jo said...

Aalyia, I missed this event...
I'm so excited for you to have a little window in your beautiful smile!! I love YOU