autismspeaks.org

24 December 2009

Christmas Eve

It is 10:00 am and I thought I'd be up around 7:00 am to finish last minute things. I am still in my pajamas and trying very hard not to freak. We are supposed to be at my in-laws at 11:30 am and I'm not ready! Aalyia has a 102 temp this morning and looks beat up. Roci wanted me to help her finish her christmas gift for someone and I thought she had finished it already.
We are supposed to take a van full of items to the church for Gage's Eagle Scout project in order to assemble gift bags for the Rescue Mission tomorrow. Oh, did I mention a TV crew will be meeting us to interview Gage at 3:00pm?
I wanted the week before Christmas to be relaxing. I got my Christmas cards out the day before Thanksgiving. I started shopping back in October. I got my baking done last week and delivered. I even pared down my list so I wouldn't have 60 people to deliver to! ( Sixteen was the limit!)
We are entertaining about 26 people at 5:00 this evening at my home. I haven't even finished cleaning:) Did I mention I could use a shower??
So, here it is on the eve of the memory of the Savior's birth and I'm worried about what?
I asked Roci this morning what her favorite thing about Christmas was and she said she couldn't tell me it was presents and spending time with her family because I'd get mad. We had a talk about the atonement and about Jesus being born and she said she knew it was important and she was thankful for His sacrifice. I thought at that moment, 'Am I focusing on what is important???'
So, I am taking a deep breath and counting my blessings. I am so thankful for my Savior. I am thankful that I have a testimony of Him and that I know Him. I am thankful that 12 years ago, my son's simple question of 'Is there a Heaven?', and 'Will you always be my mom?', prompted my husband and I to ask questions and look for 'something', to look for truth. I am thankful to have learned and still be learning of the purpose of life. I am thankful for my family and friends and all the material things God has blessed me with that I am so not worthy to have. But, I do know that Jesus has made it possible. In return, I will work on being a good person and share my knowledge of the truth of Him.
Now, I am ready to go through the rest of the day and weekend focusing on my Savior and, I'm sure, having moments where I will regress and freak out about running out of drinks and why my kids don't seem to listen when their friends are over. But then, I will remember to turn my thoughts back to where they belong this season (and every day!), and thank my Father in Heaven for my amazing life. God bless you all and have a Merry Christams!

No comments: