autismspeaks.org

23 January 2010

He's 18

Here is a picture of my two oldest children. I have to comment on what good sports they are. They were nice enough to pose with Santa for me.

Gage turns 18 on Tuesday and I've been thinking alot about the last 18 years and how quickly they've gone by. He is an amazing young man. He is polite, generous, courteous and extremely compassionate. I do realize how blessed I am to have such amazing kids.

Well, as I write Gage is at Springifeld Central High taking his SAT. He has been preparing for his test for the last few months and I've been praying all morning that he will do well.



He has decided to apply to STCC (a local community college) and do his first year there and then go on a 2 year mission for the church. I am so proud of how sincere he is. He has struggled with some of his studies. Not because they were too hard, but because he decided he wasn't interested in them. Now, I am a BIT of a control freak so it has been challenging not to be all over him and his studies. I figure he needs to learn responsibility, so I give him his space when it comes to school work and assignments. I'm hoping in the near future he'll appreciate the lessons I've tried to teach him.

Mercedes is technically in her senior year as well. She has kept up with Gage and has gotten two years ahead in her studies. She is more motivated at keeping up with her work. Or at least she was until the end of last year. She has slacked a little. She is also only 15. I'm in no hurry to send her off anywhere quite yet. I'm looking into summer online courses for her. Then we'll take it from there.

No one tells you how hard being a parent is. I don't think anyone can really tell you how hard it is. When they are little, they keep you running and moving. For the most part they listen and you know where they are. Then they become teenagers and all of a sudden it's a different kind of hard. They have opinions and they let you know them. You can't physically pick them up and put them in time out or make them go with you. You have to develop this unimaginable level of patience and reasoning. The bribes get bigger too. I never believed in bribing. I was old school and thought kids should do what's expected and that's that. That is when I had 2 children who were quiet and obedient. Now I have four and realize that kids come with their very one personalities and respond in their own personal ways!
I wouldn't trade any of it! I have grown in ways I never thought possible. My children help keep me focused and always striving to do better. They inspire me and I hope they feel the same... maybe some day!

2 comments:

mckellebmassmemo said...

AMEN to your thoughts on parenting! Teenagers are a whole new ball of wax. Gage is the kind of boy I hope my daughter marries some day! Good luck to him in college.

Pack N Pounce said...

I have a hard time thinking of your children as anything but perfect and exceptional! Maybe they have me fooled with those gorgeous smiles.
*wink*