autismspeaks.org

03 September 2010

Ahhhh.... Aalyia


This little girl here just gave me the biggest pick-me-up I've had in a long time. This is how it went:
We had just finished family prayer and we were giving out our customary hugs and kisses. Aalyia was sitting next to me but instead of hugging me she went over to her sister. I was taken back. Then she skipped over me again to hug her other sister.
I said, "Uh, what about me?!'
She said, "No mami, just wait a minute." Then she leaned over and whispers to me, "I didn't forget you, I'm saving you for last because'..., (this part she just barely whispers),... "because you're my favorite."
She left me speechless.
Roci caught what she said and said, "Huh, what?"
Aalyia put her hands up and said, "Just kidding, just kidding." But then she looks over her shoulder and whispers more carefully, "But not really Mami.", with her big toothless grin.
I can't tell you what that did for me.
We don't play favorites in our home. We love our children more than we ever could express to them or probably show them. We love them each for their uniqueness and individuality. We love them differently because they are so different. And now that I think of it, I guess they are each my favorite because they are so individually special. I have been known to say, "You're my favorite Gage, or Mercedes, or Roci, in the world. I guess I am Aalyia's favorite mom. Roci will role her eyes at me sometimes but I remind her that although she is loved, she doesn't HAVE to be a favorite anything. The 'favorite' just adds an exclamation point to the love.
Aalyia made me feel so special. To know that she knows me warts and all and can STILL express that was amazing.
I try so hard to be a good mom. I battle with the 'ugly me' alot. The Dr. Hyde, if you will. The one who loses her temper easily, who's too busy to play or too tired to read a story. Sometimes she comes around and I don't have the energy or desire to send her away.
And yet Aalyia reminded me of my Heavenly Father's love for me because at that moment she showed me that we are all His 'favorite' because of who we are. Thank you Lovie, I needed that more than you could know.

No comments: