autismspeaks.org

27 September 2011

I pray.

I would like to share an excerpt from my son's email this week: "Dear Mom, and everyone! It was a little bit of a weird week. I guess the only thing that made it weird was this story: Elder Villalba and I were walking on a street about 3 blocks from our apartment on Wed. night. A woman in a taxi came up and said: "Someone committed or was trying to commit suicide over there!" (I didn´t understand this though). Elder Villalba said, "oh. okay we´ll go see what´s up." (Because he thought someone had already died.) We walked quickly about half a block then he started to run. I still didn´t see anything, but then I noticed a silhouette of a person hanging from a TREE next to the street! It was right in front of a member´s house! I ran and started clapping in front of the members house to get them to come out. Elder Villalba lifted the guy up so he could breath again. (he hadn´t died.) I clapped so much until someone came out. A crowed formed around the street. It was a crazy scene. The kid was about 17 years old. When he finally came to, he just screamed several times : "Why did you save me?! WHY?? I wanted to die!" Everyone in the neighborhood was all around us and then suddenly, he gained more strength, got up, and took off running down the street into the dark. Nobody knew where he went. I felt very sick after and shaken up, and decided I can´t be a doctor or police officer. Now every time we pass that street or that tree, there´s a strange memory, or feeling there. I don´t like it." As a mom, I can only say that I was horrified, on so many levels, by this news. So many emotions and questions. First, why would my son witness something like this. Two, what had pushed this poor young man not just to think about killing himself, but that he actually tried. The fact that they were able to save this poor young man. I pray that this person sees this event as a sign. That God wants him to live. I pray that he finds his purpose in life. I pray that my son and his companion won't have nightmares about this. I pray.

1 comment:

Burnhams said...

Oh man! I am glad he got saved and hope he is better off for it. I am sorry that Gage had to see and deal with that. I pray too that he and his companion dont suffer for it :(