autismspeaks.org

20 January 2012

I can bring home the bacon...

"I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never let you forget you're a man. 'Cause I'm a woman..."

Does anyone remember that commercial? It was an ad for an 8 hour perfume called Enjoli. As an impressionable young girl, I remember telling my mom she should by it because she would have lots of energy and never get tired. Just look at the lady on TV. I was also the same girl that told my mom to call the "Money Store" (a place that gave out loans promoted by the New York Yankee, Phil Rizzuto), when I heard her complain about us not having enough money to pay the bills. I thought all you had to do was go to the store and get some money. The commercial was very popular on WPIX New York. Yes, I spent many hours in front of the TV:)

Well, I got the job I applied for. I have very mixed emotions about working. My biggest is giving up my flexibility. When you say yes to one thing, you say no to something else. In this case, I'm saying yes to potential money and no to making my own schedule. It's only part time, but I forgot to consider the summer. You know, when the girls are home. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!
I don't think I would feel as bad if all my kids were grown, but I still have two young ones who need me. The supervisor did say she would work with me, so I hope that means I can occasionally take a day here and there.
In the meantime, I am thankful because this is an opportunity to get my foot in the door somewhere. Children do grow, I know firsthand!
The bacon I bring home won't even buy what's on that plate;), but it's a start. I'm sure I'll still be doing a lot of cooking and as far as the last part of that little jingle... well, it is TV, after all...

I still love you, Bobby!

No comments: